Sell Like Santa – Part 1 of 2

Santa’s #1

We all know the song: He’s making a list, checking it twice. Gonna find out who’s naughty and nice. Santa Claus is coming to town…¬†

(If you’re like me, you can’t even read those words without singing it in your head. Of course, if you’re like me, nobody wants to hear you singing outside of your head.)

According to legend, Santa starts off his sales year by making a list and checking it twice. If it works for one of the most recognizable marketers in the world, it can work for you. Make a list of all your actions and see if those actions are actually bringing in business or just wasting time. According to several bodies of research, the average salesperson spends less than 10% of their time selling, which leaves 90% of their time for other sales-related functions. Simply doubling that number to 20% could double your income.

One Moore Thing: Track all your activities for a week. They should fall roughly into the categories of prospecting, customer meeting, proposal development, closing, and follow up. Those actions should make up 80% of your time with the remaining 20% dedicated to learning and miscellaneous tasks.

Track those actions for a week and you’ll be surprised at how much time you’re wasting and how much money you’re missing out on.

If you’re looking for Part 2 of this post, you can find it here.